45 weeks to go

Weight loss this week: 2.8 lbs
Total weight loss: 18.4 lbs

What a week. And I do NOT mean that in a good way.

Last Saturday, it started snowing. Yes, I know it’s January, and most of you live in places where you haven’t seen the ground in months, but I live in western Washington. We get rain rather than snow. This week, though, it snowed. In total we got about 12″ at our place.

We live on a ridge about 15 minutes outside of a small town. For most of the week, the roads weren’t too bad. Some were plowed (at various times); some weren’t. But they weren’t horrible — until the trees and branches started falling. We were never snowed in, per se, though we chose to stay in at the beginning of the week. Later in the week, when things took a turn for the worse, there were times the roads were impassable because of trees and downed lines and such.

Our big problems stemmed from power outages. We were out for a few hours on Tuesday. No biggie. I had prepared for it — it didn’t even affect my work. Since a lot of snow (which we didn’t get, thankfully) was predicted for Wednesday, I made sure that my work for that day would get done even if the power went out.

We didn’t get the snow, but we lost a telephone pole and all the power lines on it. That was 1:30PM on Wednesday. No worries, the power company assured us. They’d have power back that evening. Oh, no, not that evening — 11PM. Or 7AM the next morning. Or noon. Or none of those, because they stopped working in the middle of the project and sent the trucks south.

See, the weather took a turn for the worse on Thursday. South of us, an unpredicted ice storm hit. Freezing rain turned the area into a war zone. I *get* that. They needed all hands on deck down there. But they could have finished the project they were working on here. Even if we’d have lost power again — and we would have, because on Thursday the trees and branches started falling everywhere — we’d have had a few more hours of refrigerated food, a few more hours of water (and indoor plumbing), etc.

But they didn’t. So we were without power until Saturday night at 9:07PM.

We have a small generator that runs our pellet stove and a few things in our basement. Honestly, we stay pretty comfortable with that. We move the guest bed down there, and although we don’t have computers, we can run the TV and a halogen light, and we can charge our phones and the Kindle.

Where I suffered was the food. This challenge I’m doing is not flexible. If I had cheated, I’d have forfeited the money. 100% or nothing. So I had kale chips and nuts. Some peanut butter, but nothing to put it on, of course. My husband was sick, so he grilled once — enough for a single meal. I was HUNGRY.

I didn’t go off plan (though I REALLY resented it), and I got my exercise in. Sort of. I did lackluster cardio that I REALLY didn’t want to do. I didn’t get to work out with Jenny or B, and I didn’t get to Pilates.

Saturday saved me. Saturday was cheat day on the plan. I did my weigh in early on Saturday as usual, and then I ate myself silly. It wasn’t until pizza at dinner, though — after a lot of food throughout the day — that I finally wasn’t hungry anymore. If we hadn’t gotten power back, I don’t know what I would have done.

All in all, it was a horrible week, and I’m really glad it’s OVER. I hope we don’t have any more snow or power outages this winter. This week killed my enthusiasm for this challenge. I’m going to start counting the year down in reverse, because it’s not fun anymore.

This entry was posted in Challenge and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to 45 weeks to go

  1. Jason says:

    To be honest, the problem with grilling was not that I was ill. It was two-fold. First, I didn’t want to go out and cook in the falling snow. Once the snow stopped I did cook but didn’t cook everything we had in the fridge since we didn’t want to heat the fridge and didn’t have any other way to preserve anything that had been cooked and after than neither of us trusted what was still in the fridge.

    I agree though that finding things to eat that were still on plan was nigh on impossible.

    • Melissa says:

      I don’t blame you for not wanting to go out. There was frozen precip of one kind or another falling almost the entire time. If we can figure out the food issue, we’ll be a lot more comfortable. Maybe we should look into a dehydrator to make our own sugar-free jerky?

  2. Maggie says:

    Wow, that is a tough week. I heard about the big power outages. A trainer for EditPalooza also faced power outage. I’m not sure where he lives, though. You did manage to get through the week, though. It was tough but you pulled through, when you could have said, “I had enough.”

    Hang in there. I’m still cheering for you!

    • Melissa says:

      Thanks, Maggie! I’m doing a lot better now. My house is back to normal, and I have a fridge full of food. And yes, I stuck with it and am proud of that!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *